Wednesday, May 10

Continuing the conversation....

delanee&donkeys-11-11-01-web


Paul at Brainshrub is continuing the blogosphere/respect conversation, regarding whether the blogosphere has any effect on grassroots political action, and therefore candidates and elections, and whether Democratic candidates can or should have "respect" for bloggers. Here's my comment, but do go look at the whole thing.

I think we may be comparing apples and pomegranates here. My own post did not mention grassroots political campaigning. I agree with those that the jury is completely out as to whether left wing blogging is having any effect on actual political races, yet. It is certainly having an effect on the discourse. Does Bill O'Reilly or Michelle Malkin or Chris Matthews have an effect on local races? Does Al Franken? Unless these guys go out and fundraise for candidates (and I know Franken has done so) they are not having a direct effect on political campaigns.

I can only speak from my own experience, that being a blogger has inspired me to go out and join local Democratic fundraising and events that I would not have otherwise done, and did not do in 2000 and 2004.

I feel as a blogger that I have a much greater stake in politics than I did before the blogosphere came into prominence. I feel part of something greater than myself. I love my fellow bloggers, the intelligent, hardworking, funny, patriots I have met on this journey.


PS. The whole Froggo thang is called "Forni-gate." Pass it on.

1 comment:

  1. To me blogging has allowed me a greater outlet to express my political points of view and to read others. There's a lot of crap to sift through. but there are good ideas out there and free thinkers now have better access to each other. I doubt any political party has respect for bloggers, but I'm sure their fundraisers will not leave this stone unturned. Deep down I hope us bloggers make the politicians aware of what the citizens are thinking, but the cynic in me says they'll just see it as another area to raise money in.

    ReplyDelete

I really look forward to hearing what you have to say. I do moderate comments, but non-spam comments will take less than 24 hours to appear... Thanks!